When retailers think about adding Gift Registry, one of the first questions right “after how much is it?”, is “how hard is it to add a Gift Registry solution to my site”. And “how much work do I have to do?”.
These are great questions and need to be addressed right away. At Marcole we have encountered many different scenarios and discovered the “best” implementation is the one that matches up with your unique situation. Below are main points that should be included in any implementing plan. Remember if the implementation cost money or time, then it should have a plan.
Asking the Right Questions
First, you probably already have a template for your standard implementing plan. But before you start filling it out and checking boxes let’s start with some questions. There is no one solution that works for all situations. When integrating anything, not just Gift Registry, the retailer and potential integrator need to take stock of all the potential integration points. It’s not the customer(retailers) responsibility to determine all the points, it’s the Integrators. An experience Integrator needs to ask the right questions and more importantly, listen to the answers. The partnership starts in the initial conversations. In a good partnership, the integrator and customer want the same result, a cost-effective and timely solution that best fits the customer’s needs and the production environment. Asking good questions will also help you build trust with your customer.
Good Questions to Ask
If you have an experienced integrator you will hear questions like these.
- Are you wanting to host the gift registry solution on your servers are do you want us to host the solution?
- What is your current e-commerce platform?
- What is your current POS system?
- Do want Kiosks in your store for your customers?
- Is shipping items an issue? Do you ship globally?
- Would you want your customers to scan items to add to gift registries while in they are in your store(s)?
- How busy is your website and or store(s)? Meaning how much gift registry traffic are you expecting?
- What are you looking for in a Gift Registry system?
- How do you want to handle item and price management?
- What about images, where are they stored?
- Do you have an IT support team? Or how do you want to handle technical support issues?
- What kind of reports are you use to?
- How will your team handle administrating the Gift registry?
These are just some of the main questions that need answering. There are more, but I wanted to give you a flavor of the questions. Too many times, integrators or Retailers just want to “getter done”, before they realize what the customers’ expectations and requirements are.
One last thing about asking the right questions. Depending on the size of the organization, you may need to check if the right person is being asked the questions. Check with the team who will be using the system. They could have valuable feedback and requirements, and make sure those who “sign the checks” give sign off on the new project as well.
The next post we will go into different types of ways of integrating, including using APIs. Then finally we will talk about a plan!